When I last tried Ubuntu, I was really uncomfortable with the idea that I had to literally spend a good time trying to get my computer to play mp3 songs and be able to play common video files. I had to do a lot of searching to get an idea on how to go about it (since it was my first attempt at trying out linux I had to rely on Google a lot).
This time round, I just had to install the ‘Restricted Extras’ from the Ubuntu Software Center and I was good to go. I didn’t like Movie Player that comes bundled with Ubuntu because it just doesn’t seem to have enough features and it also seemed to consume a lot more of the processing power than I thought it should. I just installed VLC and I have a video player that I have relied on in the Windows environment as well.
I rely on Dropbox to have my common files available to me all the time. I can even pull them up in the chrome browser with the dropbox extension and I use it to queue torrents on my home computer.
So basically I can still get Dropbox so that is something I won’t be missing. But even if I did, I can also use Ubuntu One. I just signed up for it and so far it seems like a very good equivalent of Dropbox. No surprises here and the transition is on track!
I think there’s ample discussion about the switching of the close buttons in Ubuntu. The buttons are now on the top left corner of the title bar. But in the Linux version of Chrome they’re still on the right just like the windows buttons. I suppose there must be some way to change that, otherwise I’ll just go mad switching between the two options!!
I first headed to the Ubuntu Software Center. It seems very intuitive and very well laid out so it is a great place to start with when looking for relevant software.
I found the Chromium Web Browser, but I wasn’t sure if it was the exact same thing as Google Chrome and if it indeed had support for extensions.
So I just headed over to http://chrome.google.com and just installed the browser from there. It was a 12.8MB download for a 32-bit package. So basically it just takes a min or two to get started on that.
While installing I had to give the process the Administrator rights, just like Windows 7 used to bug me with continuous prompting me if I wanted to run a process. No real difference here 😛
So the browser shows up in the Internet menu and I can run it right away. Set the homepage and default search engine to Bing (yes I don’t Google anymore, I Bing it 😉 )
The extension support is there so that was a relief and I don’t think I need to elaborate more on that!
I do however use the Dev channel to keep the really latest version running. So I just ended up on the following link
It was another 16.8 MB download but I guess from the browser point of view, I don’t think I’ll be missing anything at all.
Update: I just realized that I could have installed the ‘unstable’ version from the Synaptic Package Manager and the whole process is much more intuitive. And now my Chrome environment is exactly like I did in Windows. So far it’s looking good.
I had completely shifted to Google Chrome but still kept Firefox as a backup browser. Chrome is far less sophisticated than Firefox but that is also one key feature. Since the extension support and a more robust experience, I have continued to rely on Chrome.
The first thing that I would be doing is to add Google Chrome and see how it performs on Ubuntu.
I am writing this post from a fresh installation of Ubuntu 10.04 LTS on my main laptop. I have taken the plunge and uninstalled Windows 7 since I wanted to really get into the Linux experience and not continuously booting into Windows every time the boot menu prompted me.
So basically I thought I’d start writing about the experience and I hope to be able to continue doing exactly what I need doing by finding Linux alternates to my commonly used Windows applications.
For the ones who have started using BPMA to manage the outline in Hyperion Planning, there are two options to create the dimensions. Either make the .ads file or populate the Interface tables with the relevant information.
Maintaining and developing an .ads file is rather cumbersome and updating the Master version takes considerably more time as compared to pulling the data from the Interface tables.